The Iowa City Public Library has been named one of the Top 5 Children’s Libraries by Livability.com, a national website that highlights more than 500 of America’s best places to live.
Livability.com editors looked at 500 communities across the country to find the best libraries for kids. The children’s libraries selected not only look amazing, they also offer great programs and get kids excited about reading, learning and exploring. Editors consulted several nationally recognized authorities on the subject of libraries and children’s literature, including the American Library Association, to determine criteria for the ranking. Among them: the library’s responsiveness to community’s needs.
“[A library] should be responsive to its community rather than beholden to some kind of national standard,” said Roger Sutton, editor in chief of The Horn Book, which reviews and tracks children’s and young adult literature. “The best libraries pay attention to their communities and the best librarians are those who really pay attention to the child in front of them, as well as the child who is not there but should be.”
The Iowa City Public Library was chosen for its visually appealing spaces for children, full range of programs, large collection of books, integration of new technologies and proven success in getting kids to engage. Read more here.
Top 10 Children’s Libraries
1. ImaginOn – Charlotte, NC
2. Tulsa City County Library – Tulsa, OK
3. Vancouver Community Library – Vancouver, WA
4. Lied Scottsbluff Public Library – Scottsbluff, NE
5. Iowa City Public Library – Iowa City, IA
6. El Paso Public Library – El Paso, TX
7. Laramie County Library – Cheyenne, WY
8. Brentwood Public Library – Brentwood, TN
9. Birmingham Public Library – Birmingham, AL
10. The Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County – Cincinnati, OH
April Jo Harder
Public Relations Specialist
Iowa City Public Library
Visit the Iowa City Public Library today.
Your home to knowledge and entertainment for every age.
Open 24/7 at http://icpl.org/.
For the latest Library News, visit http://newsroom.icpl.org/.